Tuesday, May 23, 2006

My Screed on Abortion

Consider this scenario: My toddler, full of energy and happiness, thinks that putting his hand on the stove burner is a good idea. Horrified, I move to stop him, resulting in a temper tantrum from him because I denied his "choice."

Illogical? Just plain mean? Or the compassionate response of a loving mother who knows what's best for her child? I think you would answer the latter. And yet, the abortion debate is full of such scenarios as these, in which the toddler is given his way for the sake of "choice." If the logic of abortion were used in any other arena, its arguments and methodology would not stand for an instant.

Driving down the highway today, I notice a pro-abortion bumper sticker that said, "If you will not trust me with a choice, how can you trust me with a child?" I stared at this sticker, and tried to figure out on what planet this would be a logical statement. Leaving aside the euphemistic and imprecise nature of this term, "choice," for a moment, I have to emphasize that what they mean when they say "choice" is KILL THE CHILD WHILE IT'S IN THE WOMB AND NO ONE WILL KNOW. Obviously, someone cannot be trusted with a child if there's a chance that they might kill that child. And if "choice" is simply another name for killing the child, well, they cannot be trusted with a choice, either. That's what CPS, adoption, and foster parents are for.

Frankly, murder is just not a moral option when you're faced with an "unplanned" pregnancy. And if you don't think abortion is murder, I hope you run into one of those disgusting pictures of a tiny murdered aborted child. And I hope you throw up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i can't imagine a catholic to wish someone to throw up at a picture of an aborted baby. I'm in the middle of pro-choice and pro life or whatever, but I still don't think you should wish people who have a different opinion than yours a bad fate.