Monday, November 13, 2006

If this is pride, it's a funny way to go about it

Today I had to go to Lowe's, even though the kids and I are still sick, and the last thing I want is for them to get their gooey little hands all over a germy shopping cart. But my special order stain was in, and since this door job we're trying to do is more than three months overdue, I had to stuff everybody in the van and just go do it.

BUT before I could leave the house, I had to find a top/skirt/shoe/coat combo that would work with the weather and with my own ego. As I struggled with my closet on this, I had to ask myself (again) just why I am going through this. What is so wrong with just throwing on some jeans? It's not like there's anybody at Lowe's who gives a darn about what they're wearing (Lowe's is a lot like Wal-Mart in that respect). And I don't want to look like I'm headed to church. But it's hard to go casual in a skirt, especially in November. I wanted to look modest (thus the skirt) but also sporty and Northwest-y enough to "pass muster" with the fashion critics lodged in my head.

Was I falling victim to pride? I thought about it...and concluded that while my own desire to achieve a certain "look" was probably prideful, it would have been just as prideful to throw on the jeans and then smirk at everybody in the store who didn't look as "put together" as I did, or whose butts looked bigger in their pants, or whatever. I discovered that there's always pride, no matter what we're wearing. If anything, wearing the skirt humbles me because I can't be all that my ego wants, being constrained by the modesty standards.

But it made me think again about this whole issue of pride, and whether dressing according to modesty principles is "prideful" because dressing differently tends to attract attention.

This is, perhaps, the biggest reason why Christians don't adopt more conservative dress. Some do, and I'm not trying to exclude them. But for many people in the pews, the last thing they want to do is stick out in the crowd. Part of it is human nature. Heck, even animals try to blend in with their environment--it's a form of self-defense for them, and for us, too. However much we proclaim that we have a "free" country and that people can do whatever they want to do, it's the rare person that swims upstream in the way they dress. For some, this may be a source of pride, particularly if done in a rebellious spirit...like the first hippies who wore their hair long, or when women burned their bras. Their flinging off of social mores in dress was done to attract attention, to make a statement, and to send out a big Boston raspberry to the establishment.

But now our society is full of "hippies" who think they are swimming upstream by their way-out modes of dress, so the image has become rather commonplace. And I would say that the last thing this new hippie generation is doing by their dress is making a statement, political or otherwise. They are just trying to fit in with a particular group that they feel best represents their beliefs and opinions. And there's really nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't accuse them of pride at all, even if they felt "proud" of their particular group. It's OK to have pride in who you are. Some people, like Erykah Badu--who often wears a very large and very distinctive African headdress--wear garments that remind themselves (and others) of their roots, and there's no sin in that. Many Americans, out of political correctness, would fall all over themselves to welcome such people and make them feel comfortable, because we've been told that they have a right to express themselves.

What then, are we to think about those among us who adopt a distinctive dress because of religion? Are they way-out? Are they motivated by rebelliousness, or pride? On the contrary, whenever I see a Muslim man in a turban or a woman in a hijab, the last thing I think they are doing is being prideful. In some countries where certain religions are persecuted, people may not even be able to wear distinctive religious garments. We should be glad that Muslims are free to wear what they want.

Some Orthodox Jewish women practice a form of modesty called tznius, which is very strict and regulated. They delineate which areas of the woman's actual bone structure are to be covered or uncovered. Granted, it may not exactly be popular in this country, but is there a big outcry over it? No, the woman's beliefs are simply accepted, because she has a right to express her culture and her religion, and the last thing anybody wants to be accused of is anti-Semitism. Even the babushka ladies at the grocery store remind us that there are many eastern cultures that are making their home here in the United States, and we have a duty to be hospitable and welcoming to these new immigrants.

So now we come to that great silent religion, Christianity. We are the only religion that cannot express ourselves through dress without some form of persecution. But, oddly enough, the persecution tends to come from fellow Christians. Early on in the Reformation, "clerical" garb was quickly discarded by the reformers, because it smacked of Catholicism. Priests and religious have always made easy targets because of the way they dress. Even today, laws that punish religious garb--especially that of Catholics--are in effect or on the table in France and India. And do you think that, left to themselves, they would have wanted it that way? Probably not. There may be nothing harder to bear in the life of a priest than the constant stares, comments, and inevitable questions that arise because of his Roman collar.

Obviously there is a great good in the distinctive dress of priests and religious, as there is in celibacy, or the Church would not have decreed it. For some, the sight of a man or woman of God gives them great comfort and hope, even if they are not Christian. At least there is a person who stands up for what he or she believes and is available to others' needs, as it says in the Gospel. While Blessed Mother Theresa may have adopted her plain white sari because it was common, and poor, it has become the uniform of an army--her Missionaries of Charity. When a poor person looks up out of a gutter and sees that white sari, he sees Mother--and when he sees her, he sees the hand of God.

And I don't think that a laywoman of the Church who gradually transitions her wardrobe over to skirts, jumpers, and dresses is going to incite a lot of turmoil in other people's hearts. Despite Gospel ideals, human nature drives people to be far more concerned about themselves than they ever would be about somebody else's minute details of dress. If guys in the NFL can have dreadlocks cascading out of their helmets, it should not be a violation of anybody else's sensibilities if I put on a wool plaid skirt and go out into the rain.

Is dressing "differently," then, a prideful act? As I hope I have already proved, it can be if done in an in-your-face way, or for specious reasons. Or it can be one of the most humbling things you can do. I don't think anybody who wears offbeat dress for a well-thought-out reason is acting out of deadly sin-type pride. It can be just as dangerous to your soul to "blend in." You could make the argument that those who run to keep up with the latest fashion are falling victim to pride. You could say that aging women who dye their hair and teeth and wear lots of makeup are falling prey to pride. What about people who go to such great lengths to achieve and keep a perfect body? What about people who drive Hummers? Once you start pointing that finger, there is no end to it. The truth is that we are all battling pride in some form or another. And there is no telling, just by looking, who it is. I think the most dangerous thing we can do is second-guess people's motives for how they dress or act. We just don't know.

And when it comes to various stripes of Christian who are struggling to bring back more conservative and graceful modes of dress, in line with their own cultures and religious heritage--they should be encouraged rather than criticized. We may be a small minority, and our form of dress may not be everybody's cup of tea, but we are within our rights in this country, and we should use them while we have them, lest even what we have be taken away.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a self-esteem issue in this discussion as well. If I wear frumpy clothes, I do not feel as good about myself as when I wear clothes that more stylish. If I am feeling lousy about myself, I cannot witness to Christ effectively. So I say wear what you like, as long as it fufils the tenets of basic modesty. If you like wearing skirts, go for it. If you still like to wear jeans, that's fine too. Just be yourself.

Renee said...

I think you have hit it on the head as far as modesty goes. It is an attitude, not an article of clothing.

Modesty is so much more than what you wear. It it how you act. I have known many skirt-only women that were the picture of modesty. A good portion of them call no attention to their wardrobe, because they just get dressed, go about their duties, and engage the world through their actions, attitudes, charity, and caring concern. Other skirt-only people, while they look just as modest, have an in your face, judgemental attitude, and are constantly calling attention to their attire. One set of these women are modest, and the other isn't, and they are dressed exactly the same way.

The one thing that has always set Christians apart from the world is their LOVE, not their dress. Where there is true charity, every other componant of person's life will follow suit.

Lay Catholics have never had a "uniform" to identify themselves. They wear the breastplate of faith, and have put on Christ. Amish and Mennonite were heavily influenced by puritanical theology (Not Catholic), Orthodox Jews follow the Old Law (Not Catholic), Muslims have a Supreme Ruler God, not a Suffering Savior (Not Catholic). They all, generally speaking, have some kind of theological misstep in as far as who we are in relation to God.

Catholics have never had a required dress. We, of course, should always dress in a respectful way to our own bodies and the sensibilites of others. Your desire to wear dresses and skirts certainly fulfilles those basic requirements, and you should have the right to do so without interferance.

If you are a member of a lay organization that has a "habit", you should wear it. If one is a priest or nun, there should be no interferance about wearing the habit in public. If you, as a wife, mother, homemaker, choose a "habit" for simplicity, modesty, detachment, then you should certainly have the right to do so without harassment.

This is the beauty of the Church. When you are baptized you Put On Christ, and live out your vocation in love, joy, and peace. What you wear is simply a reflection of that love, joy and peace. There isn't a "law", just a reflection of Christ.

"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink, not about your body, what you shall put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?" Mt 6:25


Many blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

I think people can try to hard to fit in in Catholic circles, and that's wrong too. For example, some parents may decide to homeschool their children because all their Catholic friends aredoing it, even if it is not in the best interest of their child. I think if you are wearing the skirt because you really want to, that's great. But if you are doing it because you think this will give you "brownie points" with your Catholic friends then it's for the wrong reasons. You also seem to have a different definition of modesty. I define modest as wearing clothes that are not too revealing. You seem to define modest as dressing plainly with giving no regards to fashion or personal expression.

caelids said...

mary poppins not:

What about the Marylike Modesty standards?

anon #2:
I am actually way too cowardly to "go plain," if that is what came across to you. I was actually trying to vent a little frustration--maybe I couldn't look as stylin' as I wanted, to please my ego. But I am by no means advocating no style or expression at all. Modesty simply prevents style and self-expression from becoming all.

Renee said...

The Mary-like modesty standards ~ I am not sure what that means. Surely we aren't going to dress in First Century Jerusalem costume. Did Mary stand out in any discernable way from other women in her time by the way she dressed? I am certain she was modest in her dress, and in her actions. She was poor, therefore simplicity was surely part of her attire. I certainly think we should emmulate Mary in her humility, her strong and fearless love of her Son, and her unceasing intercessions for us. I don't exactly understand how to take her dress and apply it to our times. Certainly wearing feminine and simple clothing would fill that role. What do you mean by The Mary-like modesty standards?

Just to be clear, I don't think there is any problem with not wearing slacks or jeans. I am absolutley not arguing with you. I am just trying to understand "why" so the "how" can then follow with more clarity. I think modesty is essential. It's just the definition of modesty that I am somewhat unclear about.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure we need to have standards, if you are living in the Spirit some things should be common sense...no cleevage, nothing that is significantly above the knee, nothing too tight, no belly button appearances...there are some areas of gray, like tank tops, I wear them in the summer if I'm just hanging around but not ti Church

Der Tommissar said...

The Mary-like modesty standards ~ I am not sure what that means. Surely we aren't going to dress in First Century Jerusalem costume. Did Mary stand out in any discernable way from other women in her time by the way she dressed?

Now I'm not biblical scholar, but I'm betting that the Blessed Virgin Mary did stand out in habit of dress from say, the woman taken in adultery. I'm pretty sure she dressed differently than say, the streetwalkers of the era.

Now the question becomes, why did she do this? The answer is, modesty, that is dressing in a way that dignifies herself a temple of the Holy Spirit by not dressing in a way to arouse lust or obscene thoughts in others.

Well played, Satan. We've now gotten it into our heads that if we try to do the right thing, it might not be a good idea to do so because it would cause us pride. If this is the case, we might as well just fire up the party wagon and forget the whole thing.

Anonymous said...

I checked out the modesty dress sites and most of the dresses were sorry to be so blunt, UGLY!! My 94 year old Grandmother wouldn't be caught dead in it. I think you can be "modest" and still shop at the mall. If Satan is at work here, he's trying to cause unecessary anxiety and scruples.

Renee said...

Well, der tommissar, I certainly assumed Mary didn't dress like a harlot. I meant did she dress differently then the other wives and mothers in her village? I assumed that there were other women who were married, homemakers, mothers, and who also didn't dress like whores. So, obviously that wasn't the question I was asking. I mean, for instance, among this community of Catholic moms having this conversation, would she dress so differently as to be noticeable only by her dress? This is what I was asking. How would Mary dress today?

And, I think it is important to note that the religions that require their lay women to dress in a very specific way tend to have a view of the relationship between their body and the soul that is distinctly non-Catholic.

Amy said...

Ok, ok, Ok... I hope this is not all my fault. I in no way meant that people who dress "differently" are only doing it for pride. Sometimes, indeed, they are. And that was one thing I had to overcome in my own process of deciding to wear the veil or not at mass. I worried I would be distracting to others and if I was was, that means calling attention to myself. If I am worried about this, then it will most likely be so... for ME. I said in a post today I envy (and not in a prideful sinful way, lol) those comfortable enough to wear the veil at mass. For me it would be distraction.
I want to recommend the book "Dressing with Dignity" by Colleen Hammond. Also a site called Pure Fashion is for teens. It is all about how we can dress with "Mary-like" modesty and not dress in sack cloth and ashes. :) The truth of the matter is really respecting our bodies and our selves. For me, that means wearing skirts. Yes, it would be easy to go around in jeans, but after reading DwD I don't think I can!!
God Bless...

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm a little out of it, but I honestly don't pay this much attention to the way people dress, myself included. I mean if someone is dressed in somthing really outrageous, then yeah, I'll notice. Or if a co-worker has on a cute, top, skirt, or (gasp!!) pants, then I'll complement her. And men in uniform are always cute!:) But other than that, I try to focus on the person, who they are on the inside, and love them as Christ would love them. I think we can error by placing such a large emphasis on externals.

Renee said...

I think I agree with the last anonymous post.

I suppose I have some personal baggage when it comes to this issue. I was around quite a few "skirt only" people when I was younger, and let's just say they thought quite a bit less of everyone else. I don't get that from you, Caelid, so that has nothing really to do with this conversation.

Also, I really have to wonder about the Muslim practices of modesty. I really think there is a strong mysogeny going on there. That is not Catholic.

Bottom line, the body isn't bad. The material world isn't evil. Catholicism teaches us the perfect way to incorporate the material with the spiritual, and focuses on the fact that God (Spirit) became Man (Material) and therefore sactified the body.

I think it is absolutely terrific that you are soaking in your Faith so deeply and completely. Carry on! I think I was just fallin back on my past experiences as a warning to you not to fall into "The body is bad" mentality. Because that isn't Catholic.

I was certainly making assumptions with that concern, as you never gave any indication you were feeling that way, so I apologize. I just didn't want you to suffer spiritualy because of a most sincere desire of your heart to give yourself wholely to God. I have seen it happen and that kind of pride, or in the opposite extreme, terrible scruples and fear, are very destructive to the spirtual life.


I wear about 50-50 skirts and pants. I wear head coverings when it won't cause people to wonder what on earth I am doing (if I am at a church where many women cover their heads, or if I am one of very few congregants during a daily Liturgy).

I dress in as much of a flattering way as I can, whether it is pants or dresses, so I can model something attractive to others. I try to behave in an attractive way, and have a real consistancy between the way I believe, the way I act, and the way I dress. And I have four daughters who are 12,10,6 and 2. They are learning how to engage the world by my example. Not a small task.

I have 3 sons 13,8, and 4. They are learning all about how women act, and how to treat women by my example. Not a small task.

That is why this is a very important discussion, and I thank you for having it. It is always good for me to examine why I am doing things the way I am.

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

yeah, Satan is a "tricky Dick" and he can work on the right as well as the left; by causing some to be "too conservative" and make up rules that go beyond the ten commandments, anxiety and scruples can arise in the soul, which may turn the person off to the faith all together and cause them to rebel. I've seen it happen in families where the parents are too strict. Modesty is important, yes, but it has to balanced with prudence and dicernment, or else it can cause terrible internal turmoil in young women. I think pants are fine, and I don't think they hinder a woman's feminity at all. Perhaps it was viewed that way when women first began wearing them, but now it is the norm. I think skirts are wonderful and should be apart of the female wardrobe, but they are impractical for everyday use, for most people, esp. if you are active in sports.--but then again, I read some traditionalist websites that said women should participate in competative sports---do you see how this can get out of hand?