Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Price Book Blunder

I don't consider myself a financial guru. In fact, I have been known to make dumb mistakes about very basic stuff. Take today. I have been touting the benefits of saving at the supermarket with the "price book," which is a little notebook in which you record the absolute lowest rock-bottom price at which you can get your groceries, unit cost/size, and whatever store or source you found it at.

Now, what I didn't tell you is that I've cheated a little bit and carried my price book around in my head. I pretty much buy the same stuff from the same 3 stores, so I didn't think it was worth the exercise. However, I always have my calculator to cut through any unit cost mumbo jumbo I run across on store shelves.

But I got burned today.

Trawling through the local Safeway looking for decent prices on stuff (and not finding squat except $2 a pound coupon cheese), I saw a special on buy-one-get-one-free 18 ct eggs. This is usually a no-brainer, so I start to check them and put them in the cart. Then I see the price is 5.19. Whoa! I think that sounds high, but I'm not really sure. You see, egg price displays surely have to be one of the seven wonders of the world when it comes to confusing people. I'd have to have the price book in front of me to tell me how much to pay per egg.

But since I don't, I whip out my trusty calculator, which tells me the sale eggs are 14 cents apiece. Knowing that sometimes sales can be misleading in that they don't actually give you the lowest unit price for the item, I start calculating the cost per egg on some of the other myriad size/price cartons. Finally I come up with one at 13 cents per egg. Oh well, I thought, this is the best I can get. Prices are going up. So I grab the 18 ct version of this size egg and head for the register. Whoops! Once I'm through I'm checking to see I got my coupon deal for the cheese and I see that I've paid $4.29 for 18 eggs!!

That's 23 cents per egg!!!!

How did this happen? I calculated 13 cents per egg for this size based on a sale price for a dozen egg carton--not the 18 egg carton. By buying the wrong size carton, I accidentally ended up paying full price for the eggs, when even the old buy-one-get-one-free deal would have been better. Of course I didn't realize this until after I'd gotten home and cracked two eggs into a batch of TVP-laced meatloaf. I don't even know if they let you take back something like eggs (I usually can't anyway, since it's impossible to run right back to the store when you've got two tired kiddos...and I hate making a spectacle of my tightwaddery to mystified store personnel--"No, there's nothing wrong with the eggs...I just paid too much for them...")

Of course, if I was a true tightwad (a la Amy Dacyzyn) I would have used two heaping tablespoons of soy flour + two tablespoons water in place of the eggs. So I have a long way to go. Upshot is, I learned an expensive lesson that cost me my savings on the coupon cheese and betrayed the limits of the "price book in my head" idea. The only comfort I get out of all this is the hope that some housewife somewhere will learn from my blunder.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No need to worry about price books here! We have one grocery store within a 20 mile radius. Their prices are competitive enough to save myself the $6 in gas and the extra time to just shop at home. Bad side is, they close at 7 pm and they're closed on Sunday. A little planning never hurt, I guess.

Rachel Ollivant said...

Oh, I had a bigger blunder over Safeway eggs - Up until a few months ago they were $1.99 for the 18 count, and then buy one get one free. I can see that's a great deal without a calculator! So totally not paying attention, once I grabbed the two 18 counts on buy one get one sale, only to get in the car, look at my receipt, and find that it was over $5 for both cartons....they jacked up the price of each carton, and kept the buy one get one sale...grrrrr....I like having eggs around. Although soy flour works in baking, you can't make a quiche or scramble it!

Anyway, LOL - it was CHEESE on sale...when you called the other day I thought you said PEAS. (That's what I get for buy a cheap phone, and not replacing it as it slowly dies.) I figured maybe you were being extra thoughtful since you knew I'm on my babyfood making kick? And of course this week I left my Safeway ad in my mom's car and still haven't looked at it...so thank you, for informing me about the cheese sale. I will jump on that in the next couple days. :)

(While I was typing this, Amy walked into the hallway with the Brita pitcher in one hand and a cup in other and asked, "Can I have a drink? ~sigh~)

- Rachel

caelids said...

Ouch, I hate that checkout register burn. It always happens to me at Freddy's, too, when I've torn out my coupons and the goods are being rung up, but I am too busy chatting with the checkout person to pull 'em out...

Gotta be on your ball, ladies-- remember, it's war on the unwary consumer!!!

Rach, I deleted your e-mail with your blog address on it. Please send again!